25 Fun Facts About Plants
Plants serve thousands of purposes on our planet. From producing the oxygen we need to breathe to providing sustenance, they endlessly surprise humans with their diversity.
Help us celebrate National Gardening Week at FDA with twenty-five fun facts about plants.
25 Plant Facts
- Banana is actually an Arabic word for fingers.
- There are more than 300,000 plant species identified to date, and the list is constantly expanding.
- Elephant grass found in Africa is named so because it can grow up to 4.5 metres, which is high enough to hide an elephant in it.
- Tree resin often contains plant material or tiny insects that are trapped within.
- Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are 50 years old.
- The African tree, Baobab can store 1000 to 120,000 litres of water in its tree trunk.
- Lightning is known to strike oak trees more than any other tree.
- Bamboo is an extremely rapid growing plant. In fact, some bamboo varieties can grow almost a meter (about 3.2 feet) in a single day.
- Caffeine works as a pesticide in a coffee plant.
- More than 85% of plant life is found in the ocean.
- Gingko Biloba, which dates to about 250 million years ago, is the oldest living tree species in the world.
- French fries would be healthier if the skin is left on it as all the nutrients are in its skin.
- Bananas contain a natural chemical that makes people feel happy.
- Apples, onions and potatoes have the same taste. You can test this by pinching your nose shut while eating them.
- The country Brazil is named after a tree.
- Rafflesia – the largest flower in the world – can grow over three feet in diameter.
- Avocados and tomatoes are actually fruits.
- A carnivorous plant in the Philippines is capable of devouring a full-grown rat.
- Around 70,000 plant species are being utilized for medicinal purposes.
- Around 600 species of carnivorous plants eat small animals and insects too.
- More than 20% of the world’s oxygen supply is produced by the Amazon Rainforest.
- Baseball bats are created from Hickory Trees while cricket bats from Willow Trees.
- Onions can make you sleepy if you eat too many at a time since they act as natural sedatives.
- Chemicals released from freshly cut grass can be highly effective as a stress reliever.
- Dandelion can be eaten whole, right from its roots up to the petals.
FDA’s Passion for Gardening
Fairborn Digital Academy (FDA) is proud to partner with the Ohio State Extension Office of Greene County to create a first-of-its-kind Apprentice Master Gardener class (AMG). Learn more about this unique program.